NOTE: Words shorter than 3 characters are currently ignored. If your search term contains a word shorter than two letter, you will need to enclose it in quotation marks (ex. "XM Radio").
NOTE: Punctuation is currently ignored in a search (ex. ".30" will search for 30). As a work around, you can place an exclamation point (!) BEFORE your search term (ex. !.30). This type of search will ONLY search the title - not the description.
1) To search by ad number, place a number (#) sign with no space before the ad number.
2) To search for specific terms that include multiple words, you can use the plus (+) sign. For example if you wanted to find ads that only include sirius AND radio you could use plus signs, such as +sirius +radio.
3) To exclude words from a search you can use the minus (-) sign. For example, you could search for radio -cell -phone -mobile and it will return all ads that include the word radio but which do not include the words cell, phone, or mobile.
4) You cannot combine quotes (") and plus (+) and minus (-) signs in a search.
How to be a safe buyer
- Always be vigilant for scams (especially those claiming to be from or originating overseas)
- Always ask for paperwork (i.e. registration, warranty info, title, etc.) to verify the seller's claims
- Always verify the item's condition before payment
- Have an expert examine the item before you buy
- Always print a copy of the KSL.com classified ad for your records
- Make sure the terms of the sale are clear
- Create a simple contract and accompany the seller to notarize and validate the transaction
- Meet the seller in person in an open and public location
- Be cautious of anyone who refuses to communicate on the telephone
- When buying a vehicle, have the seller accompany you with the title to the DMV (if they refuse...red flag)
- Call the DMV and ask the agent if the seller owns the car and is able to sell it (800-DMV-Utah)
- Be honest about your expectations
Most importantly, if something seems out of the ordinary or inconsistent - take precautions to protect yourself. Trust your gut, if something sounds too good to be true or fishy in anyway it's better to walk away.
For more information on how to protect against fraud, click here or email us at email@example.com
How to be a safe and effective seller
- Pictures are free, use them.
- If you are using a manufacturer's picture or one that does not depict the actual item, please say so in the caption.
- Spell check before posting.
- Post a reasonable price.
- Post all relevant information age, model numbers, manufacturer, etc.
- Reply promptly to reputable offers.
- BE HONEST! Do not represent your item as something it is not. Make sure the buyer knows what they are getting.
- BEWARE OF SCAMMERS especially those claiming to be overseas. Click HERE for more information.
- ALWAYS verify payment before concluding the deal. Cash or local cashiers check should be safest. Make sure the bank verifies that the check is valid. If in doubt wait for check to clear.
- ALWAYS print a copy of the ad for your records.
- Make sure the terms of the sale are clear; go with the buyer and have a simple contract notarized at a bank if necessary.
- Meet buyer in person, and be cautious of anyone outright refusing to call or be called on the telephone.